Saturday, June 5, 2010

July 1999

If Naomi was alive today she would be 14. But she will be six forever. She was three and a half when she began having headaches, nausea, and body aches that made her limp.
Her personality even changed. By the time an MRI found the tumor by her adrenal gland her cancer was advanced.
When the pediatric oncologist took me into a little conference room she had already took Prajna and was tearing up. She told me it was neuroblastoma. It was cancer. The shock and despair that followed was agonizing.
A few days later we met with a family whose little girl had relapsed. The dad took me aside and assured me that it would get better. He didn’t mean Naomi. I understood he meant the horror and confusion. I believed him. And in a few months we were used to the fevers and throwing up and glances at the bald girl.
He was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment