Wednesday, September 22, 2010

weather we like it or not

Although the weather is supposed to warm up considerably this weekend, this morning feels like summer is over and fall is hear to stay. The sky was is still a little overcast. When I got up a little after seven most of the cars on lines up on the road to Mesa View Middle school had their headlights on. The floor is cold and I’m thinking how on real winder mornings when it’s in the 30’s outside I have to remind all my children to wear socks to avoid chilblains.
I revealed in the last blog that I grew up in Lahaina, Hawaii. None of the homes there had air conditioning. Most homes had ceiling fans and stayed opened up all day and all year. The trade winds made the heat and humidity more bearable. The coldest you might feel other than Ooka Supermarket in Wailuku would be at Upcountry Maui and Haleakala. The leeward sides of the Island included Kihei and Lahaina and with the afternoon sun tended to be the warmest.
But the warmest and coolest it ever got was not as much as living near the bottom of a mountain on the edge of a desert in Southern California. But there are not great extremes here, only what we call seasons. In Hawaii we had summer heat and winter cool with rains. While most of our rain now is in the winter we also get occasional snow.
I am thankful that I live where I do and don’t get months of snow. I have always preferred warm weather to cold. Now winter is coming and now is when I’m trying to get up earlier to write. I need to make sure I have plenty of socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment