Monday, November 15, 2010

the life changing day

I have seen life maps people create that documents the high and low points of their life so far. A horizontal line moves left to right either up or down at significant events. If I were ever to do that today would be significant.
The line on my life map would remain steadily low until the fall of 1982 when I joined up with Maui Youth Theatre. That changed my life forever and the line on the map would have risen and stayed higher after that. I did more theatre, graduated high school, college, had great days and painful heart breaks and the line would have jumped up and down for the next nine years.
Then in November on 1991 I was living in a bachelor pad in Kihei, Maui. It was time to get out of there. Working night shift and sleeping in the day didn’t work and I was becoming too tempted to fall into some old habits I had ditched. I found a one room apartment in Makawao with rent I could afford. So I did something I hadn’t done for as long as I could remember. I got down on my knees and prayed for God’s will to be done in my life. A week later two friends were helping me move into my new place.
It was November 15th 1991. That date is when the little line on the map of my life rose up higher than ever before and steeper than before or sense. I am not saying that this was the happiest day of my life. The day of my wedding however I was happy for days and months before. The same with my children’s birthdays.
This day 19 years ago just marks the biggest change for the better that ever took place in my life. The day before it I had been bitter and lonely. The night in Makawao one of my friends who helped me move was Prajna and on that night I kissed her for the first time. All the more thrilling days and events followed that day. But on the evening of November 15 1991 my life changed forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment