Monday, November 19, 2012

I'm thankful for clichés



     I am expecting my E-mail from the “Clichés Я Us” anytime now. I think they send suggestions to all amateur bloggers about Thanksgiving. I think we’re expected to write about what we’re thankful for or something, but then remind everyone about how we should be thankful like this all year. And that is undeniable. There are blessings all year. For that I am thankful.
It feels nice to fall back on a cliché when I’m feeling lazy. But it feels so much better to come up with an original idea. There is something thrilling about a serendipitous bit of good writing when it comes from me. And for that I am thankful.
Sometimes I feel bad about reveling in my blessings. I have such a wonderful family and a home and a job that I love. Sometimes I feel a little hesitant about saying how much I appreciate it all because not everyone has what I have. I think I might be afraid of putting people off by saying what a great job I have if someone else doesn’t have one. Or a single person might feel resentful of me. But I need to get over it. I think it’s a character flaw for me to think that way. I am trying to work through it and remembering a few things.
First of all, after I lost my daughter to cancer, I knew of cancer survivors who felt bad about sharing anything with me. But I loved hearing stories of victory. I never resented anyone living even when I lost Naomi. Knowing that someone conquered and overcame cancer felt like a little victory to me too.
Another thing is this. There are some things I have that others don’t. I am remarkably blessed. But there is one thing that I have that anyone can have. This helps me to overcome things that I couldn’t overcome on my own. If you know what I’m talking about then maybe you have this too. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, I’ll give you one hint. It’s what most of us Christ Followers are thankful for first and foremost. If you don’t have that, you can have it, it’s free.
And I will use whatever cliché I have to in order to convey what I am most thankful for. I have a friend that I can talk to who took me from where I had placed myself. He met me where I was and brought me to where I am. And we’re not even all the way there yet. I still have considerable improvement to undergo. And for that I am thankful.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment