Monday, November 12, 2012

I know I have an important point here somewhere...



     I could blame a lot of things for the condition of my blog the last few weeks. My favorite excuse is my truck crapping out on the side of highway 395 a month ago. That road trip and sabbatical was supposed to refresh my soul. How can I write anything good with a stale soul? It’s like trying to bake with sawdust and kitty litter instead of flour and sugar.
     All excuses aside, I have been a little uninspired lately. I have had trouble getting to the point I think I want to make. The weird thing is that my blog will start to make sense around the third paragraph or so, but I still post the preceding ones too. But if this blog entry isn’t making it, don’t skip forward. Stick with me. This may be as good as it gets.
     I’m a little tired this week. My fault entirely and I have no regrets here. I made up my mind to participate in NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month. The goal of this is to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. I wanted to accomplish this. I have written 47 thousand, and some word first draft before that took a few years of off and on writing. With this, I am aiming for 50,000 words in 30 days. As of day 11, I was at 25,104 words. I’m ahead for now.
     I’ve been doing this by getting up before 5 every morning and writing for about two hours. It’s not easy when I work until 10 at night. Sometimes that means less than 6 hours of sleep. Sleep deprivation can make me a little edgy. I am trying the best I can not to inconvenience anyone by my pursuit of this venture. But I’m afraid I can’t always appear to be wholly together. Prajna is being very patient with me, but for the most part would rather not hear me talk about how the story is going. And that’s okay. We love each other very much.
     Prajna knew I had a little eccentricity when we met. But still she let me kiss her that first time 21 years ago this Wednesday. And as much as I love writing I love her more.
     There, it took to paragraph 5 this time to say anything meaningful. But if that’s the best thing I can write this month, how much I love my wife, then so be it. My “novel” is nothing, literally. Although it’s saved to several computers and an online backup, nothing is printed out. It’s all just magnetic lines of computer data. Vanity of vanities. But that’s okay because way up at the other end of what’s real is my lovely bride of almost 20 years with a love we share that is just about the realist thing I have ever felt in my life.
     I’m going to try to keep up the writing for the rest of the month and maybe get some sleep in when I can. Maybe next week I will say what I’m thankful for. If it starts out confused or cliché sounding at first, bear with it. There may be a gem by the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment